How To Add a Product with Filters¶
In this how-to you will learn how to create a product with filters. At the end of it you will have added a property group a property, a category with three products and a filter portlet.
If you don’t have a working LFS instance yet, you can just use our demo shop at http://demo.getlfs.com. Please be aware that we reset the database every two hours.
First we will add the corresponding filter portlet:
- Go to Management / Shop / Preferences.
- Go to the “Portlets” tab.
Filterportlet and click
Add portlet. Enter Filter in the
Titlefield and click
Save portlet. You should now see the filter portlet within the
Now we will add properties, which are the base for the product filters.
- Go to Management / Properties / Properties.
- Add a new property by clicking
Add property. (If there is no property. at all yet you will see the Add property form automatically).
- Enter the
Nameof the property, in our case Size and click
- Go to
Field type, select
Select fieldand click
Save property type.
- Now go to
Optionsand fill in the
Namefield. In our case Small. Click
- Repeat step 8 for Middle and Large. Now you should see three options within property Size: Small, Middle and Large.
Now we will add a property group.
Every property has to belong exactly to one property group in order to use it with a product.
- Got to Management / Properties / Property Groups.
- Add a new property group by clicking the
Add property groupbutton. (If there is no property group at all yet you will see the Add property group form automatically).
- Enter the
Nameof the property, in our case T-Shirts and click
Add property group.
Now assign the property to the property group:
- Go to the “Properties” tab.
- Select Size and click
You should now see Size within
We will now add the
Property group to some products.
- Go to Management / Catalog / Products.
- Add a new product clicking
Add product. (If there is no product at all yet you will see the Add product” form automatically).
- Fill in
NameT-Shirt One and
Price10.00 and click
No we assign values to the properties:
- Go to the
Propertiestab of that product.
- Select our
Property groupT-Shirts and click
Update property groupsYou will now see the
- Repeat Steps 16 - 20 for T-Shirt Two and T-Shirt Three and assign sizes Middle and Large and prices 100.00 and 1000.00. Now you should have three products T-Shirt One, T-Shirt Two and T-Shirt Three with sizes Small, Middle and Large and prices 10.00, 100.00 and 1000.00.
We need to make the products active:
- Go to Management / Catalog / Products Overview.
Activefor all products and click
Now we add a new category T-Shirts:
Filtering takes place on products of a category, hence we add a category for our newly products.
- Go to Management / Catalog / Categories.
- Add a new category by clicking “Add category”. (If there is no category at all yet you will see the “Add category” form automatically).
- Fill in the
Name: T-Shirts and click
Now we assign the products to the category:
- Go to the products tab of that category.
- Select the products T-Shirt One, T-Shirt Two, T-Shirt Three and
Add to category.
Now we are ready to preview our new content:
- Click on the
Previewbutton. You should now see the filter portlet with the ability to select the sizes Small, Middle and Large and prices 0 - 500.00 and 501.00 - 1000.00.
- Add some more properties to the property group T-Shirts.
- Add the property group T-Shirts to more products.
- Assign products and values via Property Groups:
- Go to Properties / Properties Groups
- Select T-Shirts
- Go to Products tab
- Go to Values tab
- Check out the other options of the properties, e.g. the
Field typeor the
- Check out creating variants on base of properties and see how filters work with variants too.